60 MILES IN A WEEK Sunday, March 5, 2006

On the Team in Training schedule, weeks end with a big ride on Sundays. Today, I rode just over 29 miles which pushes my weekly total to 62 miles. Last month, I rode 100 miles, this week 62. The training schedule is picking up. One more week at this pace, then we add 10 miles. My average speed on today's ride was 11 mph, so I'm slowly increasing my speed with the increased distance. The wind today was rough going out. It was coming out of the northwest and that is the direction in which we started. So, it was a battle. But when I made that turn at the top of the loop after climbing the hill on Caves Road to head southeast back into town with the wind is behind me, I felt like I had just rounded Cape Horn on HMS Surprise.

I've been told that cycling is all about rhythm. If you can keep a song in your head you can grind right up the hills. The words that keep going around and around in my head are from Radar Love, "No more speed, I'm almost there. . . Gotta keep cool, now, gotta take care . . . Last car to pass, here I go . . .and the line of cars goes down real slow . . .The road has got me hypnotized . . . I'm spinning into a new sunrise. . . " Maybe I'll look up the words. I'll be needing the whole song for Tahoe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home